NHAM-CRM RESEARCH TRACK - REGISTRATION OPEN FOR ABSTRACTS AND PARTICIPATION
The NHAM-CRM Research Track "Discover, Collaborate, Translate" will be held in Kuala Lumpur on 8th APRIL 2017 (Saturday) at the Gallery Room, Level 8, Le Meridien
The Organiser welcome research presentation on basic science, translational research as well as late stage clinical research abstracts in the areas of Cardiovascular Diseases.
This is a golden opportunity for MPS to contribute to research sector and the symposium will be centered around Clinical trials/translation work. Those who wish to submit their presentation may do so as the dateline has been extended to 7th March
Date of Symposium: 8th April
Time: 1600-1700 Symposium 2 - Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society Session
Venue: Le Meridien, Kuala Lumpur
Admission is free
>>> Submit your abstract now at:-
>>> Register Now at:-
Registration opens: 13th February 2017 (Monday)
Abstracts due: March, 7th 2017
COMMONWEALTH PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE
The Commonwealth Pharmacists Association (CPA) and the peak national body for pharmacists in Australia, the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA), has called for abstracts for PSA17.
Selected abstracts will be presented as part of the 'Pioneering Clinical Practice and Research' stream and/or as a poster with influential academic leaders. Prizes will be awarded for the best oral presentation and poster.
The CPA president, Mr Raymond Anderson said "PSA17 will provide a global platform to showcase evidence created by pharmacists from around the Commonwealth. It will offer high level networking opportunities and present great potential for international collaboration and joint working."
PSA National President Joe Demarte said "PSA17 is the ideal platform to network with pharmacists and pharmacy owners as potential subjects for research. The conference schedule features a high ratio of oral presentations, so when you submit an abstract you have a great chance to boost your profile with a wide audience."
The conference will be held at the newly refurbished Hyatt Regency Sydney from July 28?30, 2017. More than 50 presenters will address the conference theme of Leading Pharmacy Innovation, including local and international experts.
>>>For more info:- http://www.psa17.com/abstracts
ISSUE OF MADRAC
- Olanzapine: Risk of Drug Reaction with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms (DRESS)
The antipsychotic drug olanzapine has been associated with the risk of DRESS. If DRESS is suspected, stop treatment with olanzapine. Advise patients taking olanzapine to seek medical attention if they experience fever, rash, swollen lymph glands, or face swelling.
- Codeine: Risk of respiratory depression
Codeine-containing medicines can lead to respiratory problems in sensitive patients. Codeine is now contraindicated in the following patient groups:
- Children aged below 12 years for the symptomatic treatment of colds.
- All pediatric patients (0 to 18 years of age) who undergo tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
- Women who are breastfeeding.
- Patients who are known CYP2D6 ultra-rapid metabolizers.
- Warfarin: Rare cases of calciphylaxis
Rare cases of calciphylaxis have been reported in patients on warfarin therapy. Although many of the cases reported pre-existing renal disease, some noted normal renal function. If calciphylaxis is diagnosed, appropriate treatment should be started and consideration should be given to stopping warfarin treatment.
- Advice on the risk of lower limb amputation during treatment with Invokana® (canagliflozin)
Canagliflozin has been linked with a possible risk of increased lower limb amputations. This risk is still under evaluation. Counselling: Emphasis the importance of routine foot care, and advise patients to seek medical attention if they experience pain, soreness, discolouration, ulceration or infections of their legs or feet. Patients should be educated on the signs and symptoms of volume depletion, and advised to always remain hydrated.
- List of Direct Healthcare Professional Communication (DHPC) letters for 2016
Direct Healthcare Professional Communication (DHPC) letters are issued by product registration holders with the approval of NPRA, to disseminate information on particularly important safety issues or changes in product prescribing information.
- Malaysian Pharmacovigilance Guidelines (2nd Edition) & Vaccine Pharmacovigilance Guidelines (2nd Edition)
Two new guidance documents have been released in 2016, as mentioned above.
- Preparing for Pharmacovigilance Inspection
NPRA is taking steps towards implementing pharmacovigilance (PV) Inspection in Malaysia. Check out our bulletin for further details.
>>> MADRAC Bulletin December 2016
MPS - YPC (KEDAH-PERLIS AREA) CASE-BASED SIMULATION & LEARNING PROGRAM
- Updates in Pharmacotherapy : Sharing on the latest clinical guidelines and pharmacotherapy agents pertaining to the topic scheduled
- Case Discussion : to enhance the application of our knowledge, based on real cases from hospitals & healthcare clinics
Organiser : MPS Young Pharmacist Chapter Kedah-Perlis Area Committee
Date : 11 March 2017 (Saturday)
Time : 8.30am
Location : DXN stargate Function Hall, Alor Setar
Target audiences : Fresh pharmacy graduates and PRPs
MPS members : RM10
Non members : RM15
>>> Click on the link for registration : https://goo.gl/forms/9ji228Wgaoj32wrD3
ANTIMICROBIAL STEWARDSHIP: MANAGING ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE
Understand antibiotic resistance, and how antimicrobial stewardship can slow down or reduce it, with this free online course.
Why join the course?
The World Health Organisation (WHO), when reporting on the escalating threat of antimicrobial resistance (AMR), warned that without urgent action, we're heading for an era in which common infections, which have been treatable with antibiotics for decades, can kill once more. In some parts of the world, this sadly is already a reality.
Find out more what will you achieve
Certificate will given to Malaysian for free upon completion. The certificate originally cost 39 pounds + shipping. Certificate shows your name, your course, the logo of the organisation offering it, plus any professional associations endorsing it, and the lead educator's signature.
>>> For more info:-
MPS ANTIBIOTIC GUARDIAN PLEDGE 2017
MPS had issue a Press Release concerning the MPS Antibiotic Guardian Pledge and this is published by BERNAMA
>>> As published by BERNAMA
This pledge is complementary to the initial campaign "Antibiotics, With Prescription Only" what was initiated in November
All pharmacists are encouraged to make the pledge. This campaign is most likely being watched closely by the Ministry of Health and your support of the pledge will show the commitment of pharmacists towards the healthcare of the public and the desire to stop or slow down the increasing development of antibiotic resistance
Pharmacist can make the difference.
>>> For the full text of the Press Release
>>> I want to pledge:- http://www.mps.org.my/index.cfm?menuid=158
*When you make the pledge, your name will be listed on the MPS website. A certificate will be emailed to you to print out, sign and display at your workplace.
COMMUNITY PHARMACISTS CONTACTS
Dear Community Pharmacists / Type License A holders
The community Pharmacy Chapter wishes to contact all CPs via email and Whatsapp. We wish to seek your permission to obtain your contact and email. This is to enable us to communicate effectively with all CPS across the nation. Kindly reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your information as below. Your information will be used only to disseminate information related to the activities of the profession irrespective of your membership in MPS.
Amongst the updates that we wish to send
- Updates on RUUF matters
- Updates on professional fee as CP Chapter is planning to provide certification courses to enhance our services to our community
- To invite CPS who have specialization /master/research paper to share with us their knowledge from time to time
- To identify CPs who have done any special contribution in their area of interest in the community setting
- To keep abreast with the latest updates in the community
- An avenue for pharmacists to share their experience with CP Chapter.
- To invite interested CPs to engage in activities from time to time.
Chairman, MPS Community Pharmacy Chapter
MPS MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL
Members are encouraged to renew their membership as soon as possible. As an appreciation of your prompt payment, a bottle of Surbex Bio C Plus (60's) worth RM 88/- is waiting for you for each renewal or new membership (Ordinary / PRP / FRP / Associate included), which is contributed by Abbott Laboratories. Life and Fellows automatically qualify for it and the voucher will be sent out in first week February.
Current Life and Fellow members of the Society automatically qualify for this free gift. There is no need for any action from your part and the voucher will be sent to you.
Hurry! Complimentary gift offer is valid until 31st March 2017
>>> Click here for more information
MEMBERSHIP BENEFIT - DISCOUNT FOR CAR PURCHASE
Members can now get to purchase a brand Mercedes Benz car at a discount of 6%. This is following an MOU that has just been signed with the distributor for a period until 30th April 2017
Please note that the discount is for the purchase only one (1) new vehicle under this Sales Campaign period. Any other purchase of vehicle(s) under the same members' name within the Sales Campaign period will not be entitled for any further discount. The Fleet Discount provided for under this Sales Campaign cannot be combined with other sales campaigns and/or promotions. It is for a brand new car and not for pre-registered vehicles. The discount is only applicable when purchased from the authorized dealer.
One important condition is that all cars purchased under this promotion shall not be sold within a period of six (6) months from the date of registration of the car ("Prohibited Sale"). The member will have to give an undertaking not to sell the car within this Prohibited Sale period and this include transfer to anyone including any family members or to anyone else.
To obtain the discount please send in a form to provide your name, membership number, car model and the dealer to purchase the car from. MPS will then issue out a membership confirmation letter for the discount.
>> Application form
>> Mercedes Authorised dealer
>> Vehicle Model qualify for the discount with indicative price
MPS-50th ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT ORDER FORM
Be one of the first to wear this specially design, custom-made Polo Microfibre T-Shirt (Unisex). It is available only for the 50th Anniversary of MPS. Place your customised size below.
>>> Click here for Order Form
50th MPS SEMINAR 2017, 12th - 14th MAY 2017, HOTEL ISTANA, KUALA LUMPUR
Registration is now open for the 50th MPS Seminar 2017. It will be held from 12 ? 14 May 2017 at the Mahkota Ballroom, Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur
The theme is Towards Global Standard in Pharmacy Practice
This year emphasis is again given to provide a seminar that will benefit all pharmacist practitioners ? those in the hospital as well as in the community sector. The line up of the topics include those on HIV, Clinical Considerations in selection of an antidiabetic agent, Drug/Herb Interactions guidelines, complimentary medicines in today's pharmacy, what you need to know to help to reduce antimicrobial resistance and on allergy. There will also be topics on Women's Health
A specially invited international speaker from the WHO will speak on the Separation of Dispensing and Prescribing Practices, and a view of this topic will be given by a speaker from the FAPA region.
Hospital pharmacy practice, changes and opportunities will be presented by another overseas speaker. Closer to home the prospect of the pharmacy profession in Malaysia will be another much awaited topic.
More topics are being look into and will be updated once confirmed.
Register now to avoid disappointment
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THE FIRST 500 MPS MEMBER TO REGISTER AND PAY THE FEES WILL BE ENTITLED TO A RM200 DISCOUNT OFF THE FEES.
>>> Seminar Program / Registration Form / Hotel booking Form
MPS-50th AGM 2017, 14/05/2017 (SUNDAY), HOTEL ISTANA, KUALA LUMPUR
20th February 2017
TO: ALL MPS MEMBERS
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT the 50th Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society shall take place at the Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur 14th May 2017 (Sunday) at 11:30 am (registration starts at 11.15am)
All MPS Members are invited to attend.
- Call to order
- Establishment of Quorum
- Opening Remarks by President of MPS
- Adoption of Agenda
- To confirm the Minutes of the 49th Annual General Meeting (AGM) held at the Holiday Villa Hotel & Conference Centre Subang on 28th May 2016.
- Matters Arising from minutes of 49th AGM
- To receive the Annual Report of the Council
- To receive the Statement of Accounts 2016 duly audited
- To alter or amend the Constitution, Article or Rules of the Society ( if any )
- To discuss any other matters, notice of which shall be given to the Honorary Secretary at least 4 weeks before the date of the meeting
- Members who wish to table any item(s) for discussion during the AGM are requested to submit their proposal(s) to reach the Honorary Secretary by 07th April 2017. Such notice shall be proposed by one Ordinary Member and seconded by at least one other Ordinary Member.
- Members attending AGM of Professional Society qualify for two CPE Points (under CPD Category B3).
>>> AGM Registration ForM:
MOUNT KINABALU CLIMB
In conjunction with the MPS 50th Anniversary, there will be a Mount Kinabalu Cllimb to be taken on 25th August 2017.
The objective will be to promote a climb towards a healthier lifestyle.
To take part in the Climb you will need to be fit. Special training and guidelines will be organised by the organising team soon to bring up the fitness of the climbers
To smoothen the journey to take part in the climb, you will be assisted in the bookings of accommodation in the National Parks and on the mountain. Transportation is also arranged to ferry the climbers from Kota Kinabalu to climb site and return. Mountain gears and porters are also being arranged to assist the climbers
>>> Click here for the Program, climb map, indemnity form and booking form
- Pharmacy Setup for Sale /Johor Bahru/ Call Prema at 012 6831904 or Mr V at 017 7221904
- Pharmacist - Tigas Alliance (various locations)/ Thanuja or Mona at 03 21106688 or 018-2629416 or email at email@example.com
- Pharmacist / Globe Pharmacy / Perak / Ms Sim at 012 5576812 or Mr Rajiv at 016 2603444 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pharmacist Assistant / OneMeds Pharmacy Sdn Bhd / Cheras, Kuala Lumpur/ contact Mr Philip Siow at 017-338 8071 or 03-8958 7467 or Email at email@example.com
- Pharmacist /Leanus Pharma Sdn.Bhd / Puchong Selangor / contact Ms PJ Chang at 016-2170400 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pharmacist / Mercury Pharmacy (Pahang, Kelantan, Terengganu, Negeri Sembilan) Ms Gow at 012-4266037 or email at email@example.com
- Pharmacists / icare Pharmacy (Taiping)/ Contact 018-4014426 or 05-8056990 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org