MPS ANTIBIOTIC GUARDIAN PLEDGE 2017
The incidence of resistance to antimicrobial agents is increasing. It is well known that there is a higher chance for a patient to die once they are infected with a resistant bug. In reality, we cannot stop resistance but we can slow it down and stop it from spreading by simply not using antimicrobials when we don't need them. We can make the difference and it can start from us, pharmacist.
We can help by educating the community by
- Not requesting antimicrobials when they are NOT NEEDED.
- Completing their antimicrobial course when they ARE NEEDED.
- Not sharing their antimicrobials.
- Not keeping their antimicrobials for use on another occasion.
- Not suggesting others to request for antimicrobials for themselves or their family.
- Not purchasing antimicrobials abroad.
However no matter how hard we try to win this war, we can't do much without the support from all. We need to control our antimicrobial use within the hospitals both in the government sector as well as in the private, and outside the hospital as well in the community. To win this war, we need your support.
Please support this by making the MPS Antibiotic Guardian Pledge
Dr Syamhanin Adnan
Chief Co-ordinator of the MPS Antimicrobial Resistance Focus Group
Chief Pharmacist of Hospital Sungai Buloh
>>> I want to Pledge
*When you make the pledge, your name will be listed on the MPS website. A certificate will be emailed to you to print out, sign and display at your workplace
INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND CHEMOTHERAPY UPDATES
As part of the activities to create awareness of Antimicrobial Resistance, the Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the Kelab Medik of Hospital P??? is organising an Seminar on Infectious Diseases and Chemotherapy Updates.
Date: 16-17 April
Venue: Hotel Renaissance, Kota Kharu
The objective is to update the participants knowledge on new emerging diseases ( ZIKA), and other infectious diseases (malaria, dengue, respiratory diseases, HCAI) and also on vaccines available for prevention.
>>> Program and Registration
PUBLIC HEALTH CAMPAIGN - MYPSA - VOLUNTEERS REQUIRE
A public health campaign will be held on 11th March 2017 at the Amanjaya Mall, Sungai Petani, Kedah. This is organised by the Pharmaceutical Society of AIMST University together with MyPSA.
The purpose is to raise awareness of the importance the heart in overall health, and to reduce the frequency and impact of heart disease and its associated health problems worldwide particularly among the general population in Sungai Petani.
The organiser would is calling for volunteers to join in their quest in this charitable and non-profit event. The volunteers could deliver any health related topics
As part of the program, there will be health screening, health talk, health exhibitions, games and other health awaress program, They hope to get some support for sponsorship, educational tools, and medical devices
Those able to contribute please contact Mr Kang at 011-37286798 or email to email@example.com
REAKSI DRUG SAFETY NEWS JANUARY 2017
In this issue of Reaksi:
Eylea® vs. Zaltrap® (aflibercept): Same Active Ingredient, Different Safety Profiles?
While both Eylea® and Zaltrap® contain the same active ingredient (aflibercept), the products are administered through different routes (intravitreal vs. intravenous), and appear to have different safety profiles. The most common adverse reactions documented for Eylea® involve ocular disorders, while Zaltrap® is more commonly associated with systemic adverse reactions.
Advice to Healthcare Professionals:
- Keep in mind the potential risk of medication error with Eylea® and Zaltrap® due to the different routes of administration.
- Cases of osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) have been reported in patients treated with Zaltrap®.
Particular risk factors:
- previous or concomitant treatment with intravenous bisphosphonates
- invasive dental procedures
- Consider the potential risk of systemic adverse events when prescribing and monitoring patients treated with Eylea®.
>>> Full Article
REDUCING MEDICATION ERRORS
An analysis of death rates over an eight year period published in the British Medical Journal last year suggested that medical errors are the third leading cause of deaths in the United States.
However, the researchers cautioned that most errors are not due to incompetent doctors, but rather, represent systemic problems that include poorly co-ordinated or fragmented care, variations in practice that lack accountability, and absence or under-use of safety nets and other protocols.
>>> Click for Full Article
COMMUNITY PHARMACISTS CONTACTS
Dear Community Pharmacists / Type License A holders
The community Pharmacy Chapter wishes to contact all CPs via email and Whatsapp. We wish to seek your permission to obtain your contact and email. This is to enable us to communicate effectively with all CPS across the nation. Kindly reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your information as below. Your information will be used only to disseminate information related to the activities of the profession irrespective of your membership in MPS.
Amongst the updates that we wish to send
- Updates on RUUF matters
- Updates on professional fee as CP Chapter is planning to provide certification courses to enhance our services to our community
- To invite CPS who have specialization /master/research paper to share with us their knowledge from time to time
- To identify CPs who have done any special contribution in their area of interest in the community setting
- To keep abreast with the latest updates in the community
- An avenue for pharmacists to share their experience with CP Chapter.
- To invite interested CPs to engage in activities from time to time.
Chairman, MPS Community Pharmacy Chapter
MPS MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL
Members are encouraged to renew their membership as soon as possible. As an appreciation of your prompt payment, a bottle of Surbex Bio C Plus (60's) worth RM 88/- is waiting for you for each renewal or new membership (Ordinary / PRP / FRP / Associate included), which is contributed by Abbott Laboratories. Life and Fellows automatically qualify for it and the voucher will be sent out in first week February.
Current Life and Fellow members of the Society automatically qualify for this free gift. There is no need for any action from your part and the voucher will be sent to you.
Hurry! Complimentary gift offer is valid until 31st March 2017
>>> Click here for more information
MEMBERSHIP BENEFIT - DISCOUNT FOR CAR PURCHASE
Members can now get to purchase a brand Mercedes Benz car at a discount of 6%. This is following an MOU that has just been signed with the distributor for a period until 30th April 2017
Please note that the discount is for the purchase only one (1) new vehicle under this Sales Campaign period. Any other purchase of vehicle(s) under the same members' name within the Sales Campaign period will not be entitled for any further discount. The Fleet Discount provided for under this Sales Campaign cannot be combined with other sales campaigns and/or promotions. It is for a brand new car and not for pre-registered vehicles. The discount is only applicable when purchased from the authorized dealer.
One important condition is that all cars purchased under this promotion shall not be sold within a period of six (6) months from the date of registration of the car ("Prohibited Sale"). The member will have to give an undertaking not to sell the car within this Prohibited Sale period and this include transfer to anyone including any family members or to anyone else.
To obtain the discount please send in a form to provide your name, membership number, car model and the dealer to purchase the car from. MPS will then issue out a membership confirmation letter for the discount.
>> Application form
>> Mercedes Authorised dealer
>> Vehicle Model qualify for the discount with indicative price
MPS-50th ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT ORDER FORM
Be one of the first to wear this specially design, custom-made Polo Microfibre T-Shirt (Unisex). It is available only for the 50th Anniversary of MPS. Place your customised size below.
>>> Click here for Order Form
50th MPS SEMINAR 2017, 12th - 14th MAY 2017, HOTEL ISTANA, KUALA LUMPUR
Registration is now open for the 50th MPS Seminar 2017. It will be held from 12 ? 14 May 2017 at the Mahkota Ballroom, Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur
The theme is Towards Global Standard in Pharmacy Practice
This year emphasis is again given to provide a seminar that will benefit all pharmacist practitioners ? those in the hospital as well as in the community sector. The line up of the topics include those on HIV, Clinical Considerations in selection of an antidiabetic agent, Drug/Herb Interactions guidelines, complimentary medicines in today's pharmacy, what you need to know to help to reduce antimicrobial resistance and on allergy. There will also be topics on Women's Health
A specially invited international speaker from the WHO will speak on the Separation of Dispensing and Prescribing Practices, and a view of this topic will be given by a speaker from the FAPA region.
Hospital pharmacy practice, changes and opportunities will be presented by another overseas speaker. Closer to home the prospect of the pharmacy profession in Malaysia will be another much awaited topic.
More topics are being look into and will be updated once confirmed.
Register now to avoid disappointment
IMPORTANT NOTICE: THE FIRST 500 MPS MEMBER TO REGISTER AND PAY THE FEES WILL BE ENTITLED TO A RM200 DISCOUNT OFF THE FEES.
>>> Seminar Program / Registration Form / Hotel booking Form
MPS-50th AGM 2017, 14/05/2017 (SUNDAY), HOTEL ISTANA, KUALA LUMPUR
20th February 2017
TO: ALL MPS MEMBERS
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT the 50th Annual General Meeting of the Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society shall take place at the Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur 14th May 2017 (Sunday) at 11:30 am (registration starts at 11.15am)
All MPS Members are invited to attend.
- Call to order
- Establishment of Quorum
- Opening Remarks by President of MPS
- Adoption of Agenda
- To confirm the Minutes of the 49th Annual General Meeting (AGM) held at the Holiday Villa Hotel & Conference Centre Subang on 28th May 2016.
- Matters Arising from minutes of 49th AGM
- To receive the Annual Report of the Council
- To receive the Statement of Accounts 2016 duly audited
- To alter or amend the Constitution, Article or Rules of the Society ( if any )
- To discuss any other matters, notice of which shall be given to the Honorary Secretary at least 4 weeks before the date of the meeting
- Members who wish to table any item(s) for discussion during the AGM are requested to submit their proposal(s) to reach the Honorary Secretary by 07th April 2017. Such notice shall be proposed by one Ordinary Member and seconded by at least one other Ordinary Member.
- Members attending AGM of Professional Society qualify for two CPE Points (under CPD Category B3).
>>> AGM Registration Form
MOUNT KINABALU CLIMB
In conjunction with the MPS 50th Anniversary, there will be a Mount Kinabalu Cllimb to be taken on 25th August 2017.
The objective will be to promote a climb towards a healthier lifestyle.
To take part in the Climb you will need to be fit. Special training and guidelines will be organised by the organising team soon to bring up the fitness of the climbers
To smoothen the journey to take part in the climb, you will be assisted in the bookings of accommodation in the National Parks and on the mountain. Transportation is also arranged to ferry the climbers from Kota Kinabalu to climb site and return. Mountain gears and porters are also being arranged to assist the climbers
>>> Click here for the Program, climb map, indemnity form and booking form
- Pharmacist/ Nextage Pharmacy Sdn Bhd /Sri Kembangan/ Email to email@example.com or call 0179558817.
- Pharmacy Setup for Sale /Johor Bahru/ Call Prema at 012 6831904 or Mr V at 017 7221904
- Pharmacist - Tigas Alliance (various locations)/ Thanuja or Mona at 03 21106688 or 018-2629416 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pharmacist / Globe Pharmacy / Perak / Ms Sim at 012 5576812 or Mr Rajiv at 016 2603444 or email to email@example.com
- Retail Pharmacist / Axis Pharmacy Sdn Bhd /Penang/ Ms Joyce at 012 4716007 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pharmacist /Leanus Pharma Sdn.Bhd / Puchong Selangor / contact Ms PJ Chang at 016-2170400 or email at email@example.com
- Pharmacist / Mercury Pharmacy (Pahang, Kelantan, Terengganu, Negeri Sembilan) Ms Gow at 012-4266037 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pharmacists / icare Pharmacy (Taiping)/ Contact 018-4014426 or 05-8056990 or email at email@example.com