Highlight on the Private Healthcare Facilities and Services (Private Hospitals and other Private Healthcare Facilities) Regulations 2006, Part XVIII
Special Requirements for Pharmaceutical Services
(2) All licensed private healthcare facilities with 50 beds and above, shall have a licensed pharmacist as the head of pharmaceutical department.
(3) As for private healthcare facilities with less than 50 beds, shall as far as practicable, to have a licensed pharmacist as head of pharmaceutical department.
(4) If unable to comply with the sub-regulation (3), the head of pharmaceutical department shall be a registered medical practitioner.
(5) The licensed private healthcare facilities, will need a manufacturing license issued under the Control of Drugs and Cosmetics Regulation 1984, if the department is manufactured the drugs.
(2) Dispensing and compounding units shall have a dispensing counter and facilities and equipment including
i) a work counter with impermeable surface;
ii) a corrosion-resistant sink.
iii) Drawers, cupboards and shelves to accommodate different size containers
iv) Pharmaceutical refrigerator
v) Locked storage to meet the legal requirement for storage of narcotics and etc.
vi) Separate storage room or area provided for the storage of inflammable chemicals and reagents which shall comply with the safety requirements of relevant written laws.
(3) Manufacturing area shall comply with Good Manufacturing Practices requirement,
(4) Storage of medication accordance with Good storage Practices
(5) A waiting room and pharmacy office
Labelling of medication
(1) Any ward stock to the nursing units to serve as floor stock shall properly affixed labels with the name and strength of the medications, expiration date, lot or control number and any precautionary labels as appropriate.
(6) Any person who contravenes this regulation commits an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding the thousand ringgit or to imprisonment not exceeding three months or to both.
Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee
The person in charge of a private healthcare facility or service shall establish a Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee comprising of healthcare professional and a registered pharmacist.
Prepared by: Ms Wendy Khor
20th May 2006